Sleeping Dogs - Ruby and Digby - Alla Prima

5x7 Acrylic on Canvas
Collection of the Artist

Comments

Kim said…
Seriously David - do you ever do any work that's mediocre? I think not. Every piece is masterful no matter the subject. Sigh. I study, went to school, continue lessons, paint, paint, paint, and while I see improvement - it's frustrating. If you've got any tips I'm all ears (just feeling discouraged today I guess!).
Geert-Jan said…
Oh man, so beautifull. I don't like dogs, but the way you paint them .....
David Lloyd said…
Thanks for such great comments guys.

Kim...so much to consider when giving/taking advice in this arena. I could give lots of technical advice...but that is just too specific to the way I work. And I could write an essay on never feeling like the work is good enough and how to cope with our obsession. But as you already know, it is all a matter of sheer vigilance...discipline, practice, and repetition.

If it makes you feel any better (and shame on you if it does!) I have bad days and make miserable paintings all the time.

Maybe I will write that essay some day and post it here...it may not help anyone, but you've got me going, now.

Oh, and by the way...in my opinion your work is quite advanced. The hard work IS paying off. Keep your chin up!!!