Two in a Boat - Alla Prima


9x12 Acrylic on Loose Canvas
SOLD

Comments

sandra flood said…
First time to your blog. Wonderful work!
What do you mean by loose canvas? Do you have it tacked to a board?
David Lloyd said…
Hi Sandra...

Thanks for taking a look and complimenting my blog.

I say loose canvas as opposed to stretched or mounted canvas. For these studies I usually just temporarily tape a piece of canvas to a larger board which rests on my easel.

The advantages are extreme portability and economy. With loose pieces of canvas I can easily make sketches while on the road (though I do most of my work in the studio) and for such quick exercises I'm not inclined to use an expensive prefabricated and stretched canvas.

I make the distinction primarily to inform interested purchasers of what to expect. If I keep a particular piece for myself, I usually mount it permanently to archival hardboard, though it certainly is not necessary to do so.

Thanks again for taking a peek!

David